Blatteis & Schnur traces its roots to Hymans & Blatteis, founded in 1922 as the first San Francisco real estate firm to make a specialty of retail leasing and brokerage. Under the guidance of founding partners Samuel Blatteis and Lou H. Hymans, the firm prospered and grew to dominate retail leasing activity in the Western United States.
By 1932, under the sole ownership of Samuel Blatteis, Blatteis Realty Company had become a retail brokerage specialist and leading representative of major national chain store retailers. In response to the economic climate of the Great Depression, Blatteis introduced to the West Coast what is now commonly known as the percentage lease, thus enabling retail rental values to be determined equitably during times when retail merchants were unable to reasonably project their ability to meet fixed rental obligations. Percentage leases continue as the accepted standard in the retail industry today, allowing landlords to share in the financial success of their tenants.
The 1950’s and 1960’s represented a time of growth for Blatteis & Schnur into other areas of the retail brokerage business. Expansion of the company’s relationships with national major chain tenants continued and was accompanied by entry into the commercial property management field, as well as retail center development.
Beginning in the mid-1970’s control of the firm transferred to David Blatteis and Kenneth Brownell, who were subsequently joined by Jonathan Blatteis and Daniel Blatteis.
Realizing the potential for growth, the company in 1988 expanded its operations to Los Angeles, enabling the firm to service statewide tenant expansion, as well as both primary West Coast markets for international boutique retailers and national chain stores. In 1989, the Los Angeles office firmly established itself in the local marketplace through its representation of Barneys New York in its purchase of nearly a full city block in the heart of Beverly Hills. The venerable department store chain opened its West Coast flagship store in March of 1994, containing 120,000 square feet on five levels.
In 1991, Robert Schnur joined Daniel Blatteis, and in 1996, a national expansion of the company commenced under the Blatteis & Schnur banner. As the retail landscape expanded, Blatteis & Schnur extended its presence with its regional offices to effectively represent the national expansion of the firm’s clients.
The company continues to expand its staff and outreach on a national level, representing on an exclusive basis best of class retailers and restaurateurs. Coupled with the representation of high profile developments nationally, this representation continuously updates the firm’s strong working knowledge of the country’s strongest retail markets.